Saturday, March 31, 2012

Recipe: Apple & Roasted Parsnip Salad

Posting this recipe was sort of an after through, which is why the picture posted is of my husband's almost finished salad bowl. It was so good, that I decided that it really needed to be shared. If you don't like parsnips generally, here is the trick: leave them in your garden until spring where they will become sweet like candy. We dug ours up today and they are nothing like their fall counterparts!


 Apple & Roasted Parsnip Salad
1 head of lettuce
2 apples, diced in cubes
1 package free-range bacon, cooked till crisp and diced
1-2 cups, parsnip chips**
1 small shallot, minced
Rosemary-balsamic dressing*

*Rosemary-Balsamic Dressing
6 Tblsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tblsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tblsp stone ground mustard
1 small shallot, diced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 sun dried tomato, diced finely
1 Tblsp dried or 1 tsp fresh rosemary
sea salt & pepper to taste

**Parsnip Chips
7-8 spring parsnips, peeled and diced
2 Tblsp clarified butter or ghee
sea salt

Pre-heat oven to 400°C. Prepare parsnips, toss in butter and salt. Spread out on a greased or parchment layered cookie sheet and bake until crisp (slightly browned) - approximately 40-50 minutes. Meanwhile, start cooking up your bacon in a frying pan on medium heat until crispy. In a mason jar, place all of your dressing ingredients and blend with an immersion blender. Chop up bacon, dice apple and shallot and toss together with lettuce, cooled parsnip chips and dressing. Yum!

7 comments:

Abby said...

oh yay!! I saw the post in my feed and got so excited. welcome back :)

Shanon Hilton said...

Hey Abby! Thanks, though the posts are not likely to be too regular yet. ;) Hope you're doing well. --S

Donna Becker said...

This is a wonderful recipe, so thanks! I've started including parsnips in our meals to increase the veggies we're eating. I like them, but their flavor has sometimes been sharper than we care for. We don't have a garden, so I depend on local farmers' markets for our supply. I'll have to ask around to see who is selling them now.

Shanon Hilton said...

Thank you so much Donna. I hope you can find some spring parsnips - they are worth the find. Even my husband who doesn't like parsnips loved them!

Me And My Sweets said...

Hi there!

I'm hosting My Sweet Party and i would love you to join! The party is ongoing from 1-31 July and is themed. Please check it out and join!

http://meandmysweets.blogspot.se/2012/07/my-sweet-party-july-my-favourite-pie.html

XXX
Johanna

Lisa Natcharian said...

Your salad looks delicious! Would love for you to share it at my Friday link party: Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love :) Hop on over!

http://allergyfreecookery.blogspot.com/2013/05/allergy-friendly-lunchbox-love-5313.html

Lisa @ Allergy Free Vintage Cookery

healthy living magazine said...

For healthy living a daily diet plays an important role. To get healthy and fit a proper and balanced, diet is necessary.
Your article is very nice , I had fun reading this and many great insights here.
Thanks for sharing a delicious and healthy recipe.