Saturday, December 17, 2011

Recipe: Coconut Fingers

The inspiration for this recipe comes originally from The Coconut Mama, and is dipped in chocolate. Unfortunately, chocolate has been bothering us lately, and so we tweaked the recipe to make the coconut portion taste like a stand alone treat. It is such a fast and easy snack to make - not to mention healthy - that I've taken to making sure we have some in the freezer at all times. My son loves these little bite sized morsels. I hope you do too.


Coconut Fingers (makes ~20)
6 dates, pited
1/2 tsp gluten-free vanilla extract
2 Tblsp creamed organic honey
3 Tblsp organic coconut oil
1 1/4 cups flaked organic coconut

In a food processor, blend together the dates, vanilla and honey. In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil. Add in flaked coconut and mix together. Once combined, add coconut mixture to dates in food processor and pulse until blended, scraping sides as needed. Line a bread pan with parchment paper and press mixture into pan evenly until condensed and firm. Place in freezer for 30 minutes and then remove and cut into "finger" sized portions.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yum! What a great snack. We haven't tried much coconut yet because technically it's classifed as a tree nut, but I'm pretty sure Eva can eat it. I'm going to have to try this. Also, I didn't know there was gluten in vanilla extract! Wow - another thing to look out for!

Jo's Health Corner/www.naturallysports.com said...

These are great! My children will love these. Thanks for sharing!

Tiffany - The Coconut Mama said...

Great idea! We really loved these before covering them in chocolate (and after) ;). I'm about to make more of these to have around over our Christmas holiday.

Chris said...

Hi Shanon, thanks for sharing this recipe. It sounds delicious even without the chocolate. I'm going to try it both ways and see which I prefer. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

Healthtec Software said...

Health comes first...there is temptation for many things but if you are asked to have gluten free stand by it and help yourself with these ideas.Electronic Medical Records