Saturday, November 19, 2011

Recipe: Roasted Carrots & Parsnips with Fresh Herbs

This is my fancy vegetable 'go-to' recipe. With Thanksgiving just around the corner for my American friends, I thought I would share one of the dishes that we make for our Thanksgiving here in Canada. It's such a lovely way to showcase those carrots and parsnips from the garden, and any fresh herbs you brought inside for the winter. If you're not a fan of parsnips, you might just find you enjoy them once they're tossed with rosemary and thyme.


Roasted Carrots & Parsnips (serves 4-6)
6 carrots, peeled and cut matchstick style
6 parsnips, peeled and cut matchstick style
3 Tblsp grapeseed oil
Sea salt & cracked pepper
3 Tblsp coconut oil
1 Tblsp shallot, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped fine
1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped fine
1 garlic clove, minced

Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, toss prepped carrots, parsnips, oil, salt and pepper. Transfer to a 8x11 glass baking dish and roast until browned, approximately 45-50 minutes. Be sure to stir vegetables frequently during this time. Meanwhile, combine coconut oil, shallot, garlic and fresh herbs in a small bowl. Remove vegetables from oven and toss with herb mixture until evenly coated. Serve immediately!

Linked to Wellness Weekend, Living Well Weekend, SOS November Ingredient, Sugar-Free Sunday, Sunday School, Monday Mania, Barn Hop, Fat Tiuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, WFMW, Gluten-free Wednesday, Health2Day, Simple Lives Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard, Pennywise Platter Thursday, Allergy-Friendly Friday, Fight Back Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Freaky Friday.

11 comments:

Birds, Bees, Berries, and Blooms said...

I'm not a big carrot fan, but that looks delicious. I'll be giving it a try. Though I must admit my eyebrow raises at the grapeseed oil. I've never tried that.

Shanon Hilton said...

You could use grapeseed oil or lard or any other oil that is safe for high heat cooking. Olive oil and coconut oil wouldn't be suitable. Let me know how it goes! --S

Jo's Health Corner/www.naturallysports.com said...

This looks delicious! I'm considering this for Thanksgiving..Thanks for linking up!

Wendy said...

I love roasted vegetables. Carrots and parsnips get so sweet when cooked this way. I just killed my rosemary plant or that would be lovely too.
Wendy from Celiacs in the House

Mrs.Pickles said...

Looks great. I am always looking for new parsnips recipes :)

wilderness said...

I love roasted vegetables. They are so sweet. I have never eaten parsnips. Guess I should try them sometime.

Robin said...

Oh we so love roasted veggies around here! I haven't made any for awhile though. Thanks for posting this recipe and making me hungry to make some!

realfoodforager said...

Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This was very interesting! Hope to see you next week!

Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

http://realfoodforager.com/2011/11/fat-tuesday-novermber-22-2011/

Liz - Suburban Tomato said...

That mix of oils is really interesting - do you think you can taste them in the finished dish?

Miz Helen said...

Shannon, your Roasted Vegetables look so delicious, we just love Roasted Vegetables. Hope you are having a great holiday week end. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you will come back soon!
Miz Helen

Shanon Hilton said...

Hi Liz, I can't say that I notice the oils overly in the finished dish. The shallots and herbs really dominate the flavour. :)